Repairing and protecting properties for 40 years
Built around 1881 the pub sits on the corner of Mill Road and Malta Road. It closed for business in 2006 and subsequently underwent a conversion to a combined Indian & Thai restaurant, which after some success failed. The building was then sold to local property developers who after several schemes put together one which retained the original pub building as a revived pub with houses and student flats in the back garden. The main contractor was C D Hood Ltd and APP were sub contracted to carry out the waterproofing, damp & timber treatment works.
A report in issue No 375 December 2015 of ALE the newsletter for the Cambridge Branch of CAMRA asks the question “was it worth the wait for the long a waited re-opening of Mill Road’s Royal Standard? And comes up with a resounding – “Yes”, according to CAMRA Pubs Officer Ali Cook: http://www.cambridge-camra.org.uk/ale/